Do you know that “efo” (vegetable) situation where the efo sits on one side of the bowl and the water migrates to the other side? That isn’t efo riro (mixed vegetables soup). If efo riro is made right, you shouldn’t have that situation. I cook watery efo every now and again; I crave the saucy stuff especially for rice. This is my authentic, easy efo recipe, for the saucy version see the end of this post. The unique taste of efo riro comes from the use of locust beans, bleaching of palm oil and the absence of tomatoes.
To make efo riro, here’s what you need;
· 4 Red bell peppers (Tatashe)
· 1 medium onion bulb
· 2-3 Scotch Bonnet (Ata Rodo)
Preparation: Chop all listed ingredients. Combine in a blender and pulse to a rough coarse consistency. Pour mixture into a strainer and rest to remove excess fluid.
· 1 cup of palm oil
· 1 medium onion bulb (thinly sliced)
· 2 Tablespoon blended crayfish
· ½ cup red prawns (head removed)
· 2 cups shredded fish (smoked Catfish preferably) Washed and de-boned
· Parboiled meat (Goat meat or beef and/or Ponmon ) 6-8 pieces
· 2 tablespoons whole locust beans (Iru)
· Salt- to taste
· 2-3cube maggi
· 15 Cups chopped fresh spinach (Efo tete) ~3 bunches
§ OR 3 packs chopped frozen spinach (9oz packs) – Defrosted
Preparation: If using fresh spinach, place the spinach in a bowl, add ½ teaspoon of salt, cover with boiling water and place a lid over the bowl. Allow to rest for 15-20mins. Rinse out the spinach and squeeze out all excess water.
· Place a large pot over medium heat, add in the palm oil. Heat oil until a little smoky.
· Add in the sliced onions and fry until lightly browned.
· Add in the end result of part A and the left over ingredients in part B. Cover and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes (The palm oil will float to the top when the sauce is ready).
· Add in the spinach, combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning, leave to simmer for another 3- 5 more minutes.
Voila! Your efo riro (mixed vegetable) soup is ready!